19 March 2014
You may or may not remember this, but exactly one year ago we refinished the kitchen and  living/dining room floors. At the time we left the laminate flooring in the spare room alone. 

I wondered if the oak floor under the laminate was in good enough condition to refinish (it wasn't). The oak boards were thin and covered in paint and plaster. To my surprise, magically peaking out from under the oak boards was this girls dream come true - original wide board hardwood floors!
At first I didn't want to get too excited because I didn't know the condition of the remaining hidden boards. Jeff wasn't home and I had the night to spare so I just kept pulling up boards, knowing that we could always install plywood and new hardwood if all else failed. 
After removing all of the nails (I'm talking hundreds), cleaning and finally inspecting the boards we knew that we had hit the jackpot! Houses of this age often had wide plank sub-floors but from the stain and paint lines it appears as though ours was once used as the main flooring.
The boards are tongue and groove and have very little to no cracks between them. 
Next, I did what any insane person would do, started ripping up the oak throughout the entire main level. Although we were once happy with the results of our last refinishing job, we often spoke of installing new hardwood over top. The boards were very thin and the imperfections that once did not bother us, began to stand out.
(Copper inspecting my work)
The oak boards throughout the living/dining room came up easy but I had Jeff help with the plywood which was difficult to get up. 
We checked the vents in the kitchen and the flooring runs throughout. 
Next up, the soft pine floors which the dogs nails have completely destroyed.

I can't wait to see these beauties restored to their original glory!


0 comments:

Hello!

Welcome to our little blog. Here you'll find our adventures as we take a DIY approach to our 1903 Little Red Brick Home.

Jeff and Shannon

Jeff and Shannon
 photo Pinterest_zps9a31df42.png  photo Favourite_zps89ce7389.png

Blog Archive

Search

Powered by Blogger.